Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 South Coast APA
 The Dragon Lady's Lair
 Great stop shot....but I meant to draw it !!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Taz

USA
555 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  07:16:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Taz's Homepage  Send Taz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Any tips you can give me on this? I seem to do this A LOT on long shots. I'm not sure if I'm lining up wrong or just using the wrong amount of speed/firmness on the shot. What is the most common error?

Rick

65 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  3:18:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blimey Taz , are you admitting that you don't know something !!??

It's really tough , or at least I think it is , to draw on a long shot , but I think the angle of the cue is important . If you play down on the bottom of the white you're more likely to stop the ball , but if the cue is more parallel to the table you can follow through more on the white . Make sense ? Unless someone else has a better explanation .
Go to Top of Page

Taz

USA
555 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  4:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Taz's Homepage  Send Taz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to disappoint you, but I'll be the first to admit I don't know everything. I certainly don't know who will win the presidential election and I'm still not sure I know which came first, the chicken or the egg. I thought this was the forum where one could "ask the pro" pool related questions.
Go to Top of Page

Rick

65 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  5:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rick's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I'm far from a pro so I guess I'll " zip it "
Go to Top of Page

Melissa Herndon

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2008 :  9:54:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Melissa Herndon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you're ball is stopping when you are trying to draw the ball, then it simply means that there is not enough spin on the cue-ball at impact.

You can cure it one of two ways. You can hit lower on the cueball to create more back spin, but this could cause a miscue if your stroke isn't smooth. In most cases though, you need to follow through more on the shot to create more backspin. Follow through, follow though, then follow through some more.

Find a player who draws the ball well, and watch the amount of follow through. Then try to emulate that. Or even ask them for a little help.

WPBA Professional Player
Go to Top of Page

Torsten

USA
401 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2008 :  12:53:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Torsten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Melissa's advice is perfect. The one thing I want to add is that this a shot that is heavily reliant on comfort level. Your margin for error on longer shots is slimmer. You can be off by a millimeter or two on a short shot, but on longer shots, that millimeter or two expands with each bit of distance the shot covers and often results in misses, (in my case, mainly in 9 ball, in rattles that leave the object ball nicely perched in the pocket for my opponent. )

I'm fairly comfortable with long draw shots (although I do rattle more of them than I'd like due to above error factor). This is how I got comfortable.

Full size table, put the object ball a foot out from a corner pocket. Put the cue ball by the opposite diagonal corner (your longest possible straight shot) but far enough off the rail to rest your bridging hand comfortable on the felt. Chalk vigorously before each attempt. Strike hard and low on the cue ball without striking down on it. Your cue should be as close to parallel to the tabletop as possible. Repeat.

I can't emphasize enough, (even though I know you know all this stuff as an experienced player) when you are practicing this shot, do not be afraid of, or discouraged by miscues. It's part of the process of getting comfortable with a shot. If you're well chalked, you should be able to strike the cueball at the point where it meets the felt with a level stroke, and if your stroke is smooth and accurate, not miscue.

The same applies for all shots that require any kind of english.

I think the worst time to have a heart attack would be during a game of charades... or during a game of fake heart attack.
Go to Top of Page

BigRigTom

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2008 :  11:39:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigRigTom's Homepage  Send BigRigTom a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by Torsten[/i]
[br]Melissa's advice is perfect. The one thing I want to add is that this a shot that is heavily reliant on comfort level. Your margin for error on longer shots is slimmer. You can be off by a millimeter or two on a short shot, but on longer shots, that millimeter or two expands with each bit of distance the shot covers and often results in misses, (in my case, mainly in 9 ball, in rattles that leave the object ball nicely perched in the pocket for my opponent. )

I'm fairly comfortable with long draw shots (although I do rattle more of them than I'd like due to above error factor). This is how I got comfortable.

Full size table, put the object ball a foot out from a corner pocket. Put the cue ball by the opposite diagonal corner (your longest possible straight shot) but far enough off the rail to rest your bridging hand comfortable on the felt. Chalk vigorously before each attempt. Strike hard and low on the cue ball without striking down on it. Your cue should be as close to parallel to the tabletop as possible. Repeat.

I can't emphasize enough, (even though I know you know all this stuff as an experienced player) when you are practicing this shot, do not be afraid of, or discouraged by miscues. It's part of the process of getting comfortable with a shot. If you're well chalked, you should be able to strike the cueball at the point where it meets the felt with a level stroke, and if your stroke is smooth and accurate, not miscue.

The same applies for all shots that require any kind of english.

I think the worst time to have a heart attack would be during a game of charades... or during a game of fake heart attack.

Good explanation Torsten!
Dan North told me about this post so I had to come in and read it for myself.

Anyone who is having trouble making these directions work for you should try using a striped ball for a cue ball, position the ball so the strip is horizonal and parallel to the table then aim your level cue at the bottom of the strip, take several slow back strokes to get comfortable and confirm you have a level straight stroke then on the final forward stroke accelerate thru the cue ball with a good follow thru and you should be drawing the cue ball in no time. The closer you are to the object ball the easier it is to get a good draw on the cue ball. (Remember too, when your cue ball is within a chalks width from the object ball you DON'T want to follow thru because you will almost always fowl because your cue tip will double hit the cue ball!)

Then if you are like me you have to learn to not over use the draw shots. It is usually much easier to control a follow shot if you can get position that way. I think Richard Hyadt told me once "Draw for flash but follow for cash!" He only uses draw when he absolutely has too and that seems to work for him damn good.

BigRigTom
http://hardingersystems.com/BAT-Forum to discuss Billiards and Trucking or anything that interest you!

Edited by - BigRigTom on 09/18/2008 11:40:43 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
South Coast APA Message Board © 2007 South Coast APA Go To Top Of Page