South Coast APA
 Spirit of the Rules
 Ball in Hand
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sunnicagrl

18 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  2:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit sunnicagrl's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I foul, I immediately make the other team aware of it and offer ball-in-hand. Things to know about me: 1. I am a rule follower
2. I am not a great lier. 3. Why cheat or bend the truth to win?

Unfortunately, not all grumpy players feel the same. My sister was playing a skill level 2 and not paying 100%attention. The player fouled and told her it was ball-in-hand politely. She was surprised, but accepted it and went to make her next shot. The poor guy had to get grief over his honest decision the entire night. The upper level players on his team scolded and tormented him about being honest. They let him know that is was my sister's fault that she wasn't watching the shot and he was to NEVER tell another player that he fouled - even if her entire team called it on him - it was up to him! Way to coach the future players - NOT!

NOW...we come out to have fun and yes we occassionally do not pay attention to ever single shot, but encouraging your shooters to walk away from the tables cheating.....or omitting some truths????

Where do we draw the line? Let's have fun and follow the rules. Karma comes back to bite you in the rear!

Thanks for hearing my beef!
Stephanie Adrian

Edited by - sunnicagrl on 01/29/2010 2:32:37 PM

Taz

USA
555 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  2:59:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Taz's Homepage  Send Taz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Once again, it is a question of INTEGRITY.

Players who have it always call their own fouls. It is not relevant whether the opponent saw it or not, what their skill level is, if you are playing for fun, points or money, be it in the regular session, playoffs, championships or just out with friends away from league.

A player who has integrity will always call their own fouls.
Go to Top of Page

Torsten

USA
401 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2010 :  6:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Torsten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Question is, does anyone call these people out on it? If I heard someone encouraging one of their teammates to keep quiet about a foul, I'd be pretty pissed. Like I'm sure you were.

Thing is about this kind of behavior, Stephanie, we're all too old to suddenly see the light. We're not children anymore who touch a hot stove and by the pain, suddenly learn not to touch it again. It's my opinion that these people need to get called out for encouraging someone to play dishonestly. I know I'd have a hard time keeping my mouth shut.

I'd have half a mind to post their names all over this message board.

But I know what that would start, and besides, those accusations would surely be met with vehement denial anyway, and you'd have he said she said.

I think the worst time to have a heart attack would be during a game of charades... or during a game of fake heart attack.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
South Coast APA Message Board © 2007 South Coast APA Go To Top Of Page