Coaching for non-rated players
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aqati

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  6:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had heard that there was a local by-law stating that an unrated player could receive an unlimited amount of coaching during a game, even though the Team Manual for this year states that they can only receive 2. I had heard it because we played against another team who had a new player and had started to take a 3rd coaching. A league operations support person (don't know what to call them, not the league operator but still an "official") was there and said that they could take as many coachings as they wanted. Is this correct?

Taz

USA
555 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  7:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Taz's Homepage  Send Taz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
First, there is no such local by-law. New Players (unrated) as well as low tier players (SL1,2 & 3) get 2 time-outs per game. SL4 and higher get only one.

Second, the only "officials" in the league are Phil and I (Taz). Some division do have a Division Rep who may be CONSULTED on rules; however, all players should be aware that if they are uncomfortable with the ruling made by a division rep (in other words you believe they may be incorrect) the match should be stopped and the league office should be contacted. The league office will answer the phone until Midnight Monday thru Thurs and until 10pm on Fri, Sat & Sun.
Go to Top of Page

aqati

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  04:35:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the clarification Taz.

Ty
Go to Top of Page

Harley

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  11:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Harley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Correct me if I am wrong. Just a little clarification. A new male player in 8 ball comes in as a skill level 4(or what you consider unrated), as they have to start somewhere.

They are intitled to 2 time outs only for that first week of play. After that they have established there skill level and time outs are taken accordingly.
Go to Top of Page

shodbyed

51 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2011 :  10:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing I would add is that if a new player needs help with rules or strategies that are APA specific, I don't really call them " time outs". To me for those players a time out is suggesting what ball to hit where with this english this hard. But telling a player facing a tough shot you may wanna play a safty here and explaining why or helping a new player kick at a ball an extra time, especially a player new to pool, is not only ok with me personally(I often help new players on the opposite team so u can't count it as a time out) but almost necessary to keep a player coming back

seems my whole life is underfunded and overrated.
Go to Top of Page

Taz

USA
555 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2011 :  11:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Taz's Homepage  Send Taz an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ahem.....telling a player (new or not and regarless of skill level) they may want to play a safety is MOST DEFINATELY coaching and should be noted as a charged time-out.

Edited by - Taz on 02/26/2011 11:12:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

movistar

193 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  08:11:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit movistar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if a player is pondering a difficult long shot and somebody on their team tells them to "get the crutch"..is that considered coaching? I think is should be if it is not..... offering to get the crutch when the player starts looking for on is not...
Go to Top of Page

shodbyed

51 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  12:28:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes taz I know it is most definately a time out. However if they have never heard of a safety or the rule about hitting a rail or ball in hand, I think I could overlook the explaination. Granted they should have been explained this previously but if its a player new to pool itself its hard to explain every rule and strategy necessary for a beginner and have it comprehended and retained. Its their first time. As a captain, I think a little leniency is in order. However, I understand as a league operator you must take the rule as the absolute regardless, otherwise people will push it further. This is solely my personal position and I don't expect reciprication. But welcome it if offered

seems my whole life is underfunded and overrated.
Go to Top of Page

Keith

USA
242 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  03:44:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Keith's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have found that if there is a rules question. It is a good practice to have the other team not only hear the question but also answer it sometimes. I do this when the answer can be seen as a timeout the way that I would say it. I have also been on the other end of this and am happy to help. The best part about this is that it gets rid of a lot of the timeout arguments. I would like to thank Torsten for helping more than a couple players on my team in this area.

Remember the person you have to impress the most is the one you sleep with every night.
Go to Top of Page

movistar

193 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  3:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit movistar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
can anybody answer the question about "suggesting that a player get a crutch to make a shot" ?
is that considered coaching?
Go to Top of Page

D-RACK

USA
321 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  4:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes that is 100% coaching cause there are basically saying shoot that shot or referring to a specific ball.

Most players stretch to see if the can reach the ball ... once the get up off the shot and are asked do you want the bridge ... its confirmation that there coach wants them shooting that ball....

D-Rack
Go to Top of Page

Torsten

USA
401 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  10:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Torsten's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Keith is correct. If there is any doubt whether something is a time out or simply a rules question, just consult the other captain or a present league rep

I think the worst time to have a heart attack would be during a game of charades... or during a game of fake heart attack.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
South Coast APA Message Board © 2007 South Coast APA Go To Top Of Page